22484VIC Certificate I in English as an Additional Language (Access)
Do you want to enhance your English language skills? Do you want to improve your English reading and writing? Then study 22484VIC Certificate I in English as an Additional Language (EAL) (Access) at VASS College of Vocational Education.
At VASS College of Vocational Education we will equip you with the literacy skills you will need to develop pathways to enhance your career opportunities, life skills, further study and general Australian knowledge.
22484VIC Certificate I in EAL (Access) outcomes focus on the development of English language speaking, listening, reading and writing skills directly related to immediate personal and social needs together with electives selected to develop relevant social, settlement, digital literacy and numeracy skills and knowledge. The overall objective of this qualification is preparation for participation in further English language study or vocational training which may include English language support or employment.
Course Duration and Structure
- Delivered face-to-face, at two days per week at 6 hours per day for 31 weeks;
- Real life applications (6 hours per week);
- Research and project work at 2 hours per week.
- Applicants will be required to undertake an English assessment in two parts;
- Informal interview – to assess spoken English language skills and
- Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) written test – to assess written English language skills (Minimum entry score of ACSF level 0 – 1).
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer
Students who have previously completed a Nationally Accredited course maybe eligible to receive credit towards the course.
RPL is offered to any Learner who can provide evidence of competency for the units offered within this Certificate I English as an Additional Language course. During the enrolment process a potential Learner may discuss any prior evidence before commencing training to determine if they are eligible for RPL. An additional fee for this service will be discussed with you upon application.
Resources available to the student at the College
• Fully equipped classroom (including projector, whiteboard, internet access, tea and coffee faculties);
• Learner and facilitator guides;
• Lesson plans;
• Relevant policies, procedures, legislative and regulatory materials;
• Free Wi-Fi access;
• Guest speakers;
• PowerPoint presentations;
• Assessment handouts;
• Access to the local Council library;
• Educational posters located around the classroom for student reference;
• Library or access to learning resources;
• Student mentoring, if requested or required, to help her/him to meet competency and learning requirements;
• Encouragement of establishing study support groups; and
• Senior student buddy mentoring.
8 Units of Competency – 1 core and 7 electives
|Unit Code||Unit Title||Core/ Elective|
|VU22590||Plan language learning with support||C|
|VU22591||Participate in short simple exchanges||E|
|VU22593||Read and write short simple messages and forms||E|
|VU22592||Give and respond to short, simple spoken instructions and information||E|
|VU22594||Read and write short, simple informational and instructional texts||E|
|VU22596||Use basic digital technology language and skills||E|
|BSBCMM101||Apply basic communication skills||E|
|BSBITU101||Operate a personal computer||E|
Pathways to further study
Upon completion of the Certificate in I EAL (Access) students have the option to complete further study by enrolling in;
- 22485VIC Certificate II English as an Additional Language (Access)
For eligible student students, State Government Funding is available through the Skills First Program.
For full fee paying students, payments plans may be available
- • Concession fee: $55.00 (includes $5.00 GST)
- • Non Concession fee: $275.00 (includes $25.00 GST)
- • Government Subsidised fee: $3,080 (includes $280 GST)
- • Fee for service: $3,355 (includes $305 GST)
Please refer to the Refund Policy and Application for Payment Plan on the College Website for further information.
- Replacement of lost learner resources is an additional charge.
- A payment of AUD $20 may be required for the re-issuing of official academic transcript
How to apply
To apply for enrolment in this course please contact VASS College of Vocational Education by phone, email, fax or in person as per the details below. Our staff would love to talk with you about your study goals to determine the best course for you.
The College is now taking enrolments for the Certificate I in EAL (Access) Course commencing in March 2019.
C2, 1 – 13 the Gateway,
Broadmeadows, Victoria, 3047
Phone: (03) 9359 2861
Fax: (03) 9359 2899
Email: [email protected]